Why Fluid Competition?
We provide LIVE Feedback following each routine, along with point-based scoring.
Encouraging, Constructive and Growth Driven Feedback
Rules and Regulations
1. Entries are available to all Convention attending: Minis, Juniors, Teens, and Seniors. Teacher(s) are NOT allowed to compete.
2. All competition entries must be registered online (or postmarked) by the Convention registration cut-off date, otherwise they will not be eligible to compete.
3. Competition fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. NO EXCEPTIONS! This includes sickness, incremental weather, doctors visit, injuries, etc.
4. All changes and adjustments to competition routines must be finalized TWO WEEKS prior to event start date. Changes made after this time and onsite changes will not be accommodated.
5. All competitors MUST be registered for the Convention in order to compete in the Competition. (minimum of a one-day convention participation)
6. All performers must be registered under a studio name. Independent entries ARE allowed to compete (please specify "Independent" during registration.)
7. No limit to the number of Competition routines entered per studio.
8. All performers MUST wear the convention wristband during the Competition.
9. Judges will be verbally live critiquing the performer(s), immediately following each routine. This format is for all solo, duet, trio and group performances.
10. Judges will be scoring each routine based on breakdown below. (see Judging)
11. All routines MUST be appropriate and family viewable (both music and choreography.) Inappropriate routines will be stopped and immediately disqualified.
12. NO flash photography and NO performance videoing during competition. We supply personalized video of each routine to competing studios. These will be given to studio director via flash drive or emailed on Sunday of event weekend.
13. Live web streaming will be available during each event (quality can not be guaranteed do to hotel/venue internet supply.)
14. Spectators to the competition will be welcomed on a first come, first served basis, with NO entry fee.
Performances must be entered into one of the following categories which best fits the style of routine. If your routine does not fit into one of these categories, please enter it into the 'Open' category.
Performance consisting of ballet technique; including classical steps and movement
Classical ballet technique performed en pointe
Performance consisting of jazz technique, while utilizing up-tempo music
Performance consisting of jazz style, with heavy emphasis on modern & ballet technique
Performance must include hip hop and street type movement
Performance consisting of lyrical technique and contemporary dance styles
Performance consisting of tap technique and primarily tap work
Performance consisting of song interpretation from a Broadway or Movie Musical
Dance emphasizing interpretive movement using modern technique
Performance demonstrating any dance style or combination of dance styles (ethnic, ballroom, clogging, novelty, acro, character, etc.)
SOLO: 1 dancer
DUET/TRIO: 2-3 dancers
SMALL GROUP: 4-9 dancers
LARGE GROUP: 10-19 dancers
PRODUCTION: 20 plus dancers
*same performance breakout applies for 'Extended Time' routines
Determine Age Division by age of dancer as of January 1, 2020.
MINI DIVISION: Ages 5-7
JUNIOR DIVISION: Ages 8-11
TEEN DIVISION: Ages 12-14
SENIOR DIVISION: Ages 15-19
SOLO: 2 minutes, 45 seconds
DUET/TRIO: 2 minutes, 45 seconds
SMALL GROUP: 3 minutes
EXTENDED TIME SMALL GROUP: 5 minutes
LARGE GROUP: 3 minutes
EXTENDED TIME LARGE GROUP: 5 minutes, 35 seconds
PRODUCTION: 4 minutes
EXTENDED TIME PRODUCTION: 6 minutes, 35 seconds
Timing will begin with the first movement and end with the last movement. Performers must enter and exit the stage in a timely manner, while promptly clearing any stage props.
Please upload music within the registration portal.
We will also accept music on a Flash Drive onsite at event, although we would prefer all music to be uploaded prior to event weekend. (CD’s will not be accepted)
Please have a backup for all competing music onsite located on a phone/iPod. Music must be downloaded and ready to play, we will not be able to accept music through email or the internet onsite.
Double check the correct song version has been uploaded to registration portal prior to event start date.
General props are accepted, but MUST be moved on and off stage by performers or performers' helpers. Fluid Dance Staff are not available to assist with movement of props. Please clean and clear stage upon completion of routine performance. The construction and building of props, both on and off stage, are strictly prohibited.
Fluid does NOT allow dangerous, explosive, live animal, fog machine, water, paint, glitter or oversized props. Due to restricted ballroom space and ceiling height, ‘oversized props’ are considered anything above 10 feet and dancers cannot stand on props over 6 feet.
Please contact our office and get approval regarding any props you think MAY be an issue prior to routine(s) registration.
Each routine is given two (2) minutes to move props on stage and two (2) minutes to move props off stage. One (1) point will be deducted for each minute gone over time.
Three(3) minutes of ‘prop’ extended time is available for purchase: additional fee of $5 per dancer.
40' x 32' Marley Floor Competition Stage (may very slightly within each city, due to hotel/venue restrictions)
All competing routines will be adjudicated by three(3) judges. Once routine is complete, live verbal critiques will be executed by each judge (45 seconds allotted per judge.) Verbal critiques are for all solo, duet, trio, small group, large group, production and all extended time routines.
Competition adjudication will also be on a point scale, each routine scoring off a total of 300 points. All ties will be broken by Judges choice. Our adjudicators have the final decision.
Fluid POWER Award: 296-300
High Gold: 276-290
PER JUDGE SCORING:
Technique: 40 points
Performance: 30 points
Choreography & Musicality: 20 points
Overall Appearance: 10 points
Platinum | High Gold | Gold | Silver | Bronze
Best Costume Award (per division) | Outstanding Choreography Award (per division)
Top 5 Mini Division | Top 5 Junior Division | Top 5 Teen Division | Top 5 Senior Division
Fluid POWER Award
It is expected for all dancers to conduct themselves in an appropriate and respectful manner at all times throughout the competition, on and off stage.
BY ENTERING THE COMPETITION, YOU ACCEPT ALL JUDGES' DECISIONS AS FINAL.
***Please see NATIONALS tab for all Nationals Rules & Regulations***